I haven’t participated in too many of these, because I forget about them, and then I forget what books I got when, etc. But, once again in honor of my 3rd Blogoversary celebration, I’m going to participate, but do it as a whole August compilation. Now, I know, there’s been a lot of controversy recently regarding The Story Siren who hosts this, but as she is one of the bloggers that I feel really got me more involved with the whole book blogger community thanks to her Debut Author Challenge, and I feel like she’s said she was sorry, and it’s time to move on, AND she was really nice to me when I went up to say hi at BEA, I’m going to continue to participate in this meme when I remember, and also follow her. I hope that doesn’t offend any of my followers, but I’m kind of a live and learn, and let live person.
I know a lot of people are doing vlogs for this post, but I’m not a fan of seeing myself on camera, or listening to my voice, so I’m just going to do a normal blog post. First, a picture of all the books, other than e-books from this month.
- The first book in the picture, The Mapmaker’s Sons, is one I’m very excited to talk about, and will be reviewing this upcoming week, so stay tuned for that post.
- The 2nd book in the picture is The Slayer Chronicles: Second Chance by Heather Brewer. She had a contest/post on her Facebook asking reviewers to email and request the book. I did that, but figured I was not in the first 19 or whatever number she asked for, and I also emailed and asked if she might do a guest post for my blogoversary. Now, this was actually back at the end of July, beginning of August, and then the other day I got an email back from her saying she’d try to get a post done for me, and was sending me an ARC, and it came this past week and I was soooo excited!
- The 3rd book is another exciting story involving the author, Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry. He also made a post on Facebook, his was asking for ideas to help name his next short e-novella. So one of my first suggestions was Tooth & Nail, which he liked, so I won, meaning he’s going to name it that, PLUS I got an ARC of Flesh & Bone.
- The 4th book is called The Coffin Quilt and it is by Ann Rinaldi. This is one I bought. I really enjoyed the History Channel’s The Hatfields and McCoys, and so began looking for books to read more. While this is fiction, and is a kids’ level book, it seemed like a good one to get, by a good author, and one I could put in my classroom library when I was finished with it.
- The 5th book is one I won!! I got Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross from Nori’s Closet’s Lazy Days of Summer Giveaway. It’s one I have seen on the shelf at the bookstore where I work, and I’ve picked it up and read the back of it a lot, but haven’t ever bought it, so was glad to win!!
- The 6th book is another purchase. I didn’t want to read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith until after I’d seen the movie. I just thought it might be better that way, so I wouldn’t be disappointed if it strayed too far from the book. And I loved the movie, so when I saw we had the book on our bargain table for $5.98, plus my 30% employee discount, I couldn’t pass it up.
- And the final book is another ARC I got in the mail. Another of my favorite series is by Jasper FForde, and this book comes out in October, The Woman Who Died A Lot, part of the Thursday Next series. Now, I’m actually a book behind, haven’t read the one before, One of Our Thursdays is Missing. But I made sure to order it and intend to read it in September as part of the Sequel Challenge I’m going to hold, so also, watch for my post on that this upcoming week, and join in!