So August has been a roller coaster of a month. From starting my new job and really thinking it was going to be so good to the end of the month when things got piled on that hadn’t been originally part of said new job and that were NOT what I was prepared to do as a school librarian. The only good thing is that the district did realize part of what they were having me, and the other middle and high school librarians do with the online learning was a lot more than they thought it was. And so they ended up raising the stipend that we were getting for it. So I guess I have more money to look forward to. I had mentioned last month how I had extra time with no teachers to work in my library and I did have that. But now I just wish they’d told me about all the extra stuff on the first of those 10 extra days. I’d have been at least a little bit farther ahead than I am now. If I’m still at this job next year, I guess I will do my best to get things ready ahead of time. If you want to see my post when I first got into my library and was all excited and took pictures, you can check out that weekly wrap-up HERE.
My new job also means I don’t have time to do any blogging while at work. No time, plus they are very particular about the use of their laptops and wifi, so I can’t get to a lot of site, or don’t want to do that on my school laptop anymore. I mean it’s good, they haven’t had any of those data breaches, because of all the security guidelines they have though. But it also means I am trying to play catch up and slowing down on signing up for blog tours unless it is a book I know I’m going to read. I also haven’t been able to really take a half hour lunch since we’ve been back in school either. Every time I sit down to eat, someone comes to ask me something. And my library assistant doesn’t get to just do her library job because she has been enlisted in the laptop distribution I’m now in charge of. I feel like she deserves a raise or something, I’m guessing anyone who works in the tech department probably makes more money than she does, so that doesn’t seem fair to me at all. Unfortunately I have no say in what they pay her.
Also, it was miserably hot this month. I’m sooooooo ready for fall weather. And we did have another bad storm this month that ended up making me lose power and have branches down in my yard again. My internet and cable were out for two full days thanks to that storm.
August was also my blogoversary, and I’m keeping that giveaway going for a little bit longer this month, you can go enter that giveaway HERE. The week of my blogoversary we had another crazy thunderstorm here and I lost power again and had tree limbs down. There are pictures in that blog post.
I also went and chopped my hair off a bit, and got some fun color.
Because of all this craziness, the number of books I read this month was down quite a bit, one less than last month’s low number. I think part of that is also because I had some longer books I was reading as well as having less time to read. Here are the books I finished in August:
I got my one overdue review done, as well as posting reviews for everything I read or listened to this past month!
- [2 Aug] The Wild Ones by Nafiza Azad ★★★★
- [7 Aug] How Moon Fuentez Fell in Love with the Universe by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland ★★★★★
- [9 Aug] Totally Folked by Penny Reid ★★★★★
- [12 Aug] Then You Saw Me by Carrie Aarons ★★★★
- [12 Aug] He'll Be Waiting by Liz Alterman ★★★★★
- [14 Aug] Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly ★★★★★
- [14 Aug] Berserker by Emmy Laybourne ★★★★
- [17 Aug] Dagger Hill by Devon Taylor ★★★★
- [19 Aug] The Introvert's Guide to Blind Dating by Emma Hart ★★★★½
- [23 Aug] There with You by Samantha Young ★★★★★
- [24 Aug] The Highland Fling by Meghan Quinn ★★★★★
- [26 Aug] Eyes of the Forest by April Henry ★★★★
- [28 Aug] The Billionaire Boss Next Door by Max Monroe ★★★★★
- [28 Aug] Let's Get Textual by Teagan Hunter ★★★★½
- [30 Aug] The Witch Haven by Sasha Peyton Smith ★★★★
- [31 Aug] What I'm Looking For by Karen Grey ★★★½
You can see my sign up post for this challenge HERE. And here is the image with all the books I thought would be read.
I finished and reviewed Stepsister this month. Another book I had as a possibility to finish for this challenge was Berserker. Both of them got reviewed in the same post HERE. So that means with the books that weren’t in this picture that I’ve read, I’m up to a total of 9 out of my goal of 12 for the year, which means I only have 3 left, basically one a month for the rest of the year!
Last year I was doing the posts about Cleaning Up My TBR. I quit doing the posts by the end of the year, and was just going through Goodreads and clearing out books. So at the end of July I had 1,916 books on my TBR list. With how crazy my August has been, I only had time to look at my list once, and even with adding books, somehow I’m still at 1,916. Weird! Not sure how in the world that happened. But let’s hope I can get more time to go through the last 20 or so pages of books I have in my TBR list on Goodreads.
What to Expect in September:
Well, as expected there was no writing done this past month. Especially once they put the mask mandate back in place and I couldn’t go sit at the library to write because I can’t write sitting with a mask on. I just can’t. However I got an exciting chance through author Beth Revis’s emails. There is an online writing seminar on Saturday, September 25th, that was free for K-12 Educators. So I signed up for it. I mean, why not? I want to work on the things I need to finish, and the one I need to get edited, and I want to get prepared for NaNoWriMo in November using all the different things and outlining tips that I’ve gotten through different things this past year.
I’m hoping that things start to slow down a bit at my new school. That once we get all the laptops distributed to the students, and I get all the online students enrolled and divided up between one or two other people to keep track of, I can start doing library stuff again.
On the reading front, the next release of SmartyPants Romance books start to come out this month, so my reading plate is full! Wish me luck that I can get through them all!
Here is my proposed TBR for September:
- The Bones of Ruin by Sarah Raughley – I’m actually reading an ARC of this over 450 page book right now! Hoping to get it finished in time for a review on either Friday or Saturday.
- So Many Beginnings by Bethany C. Morrow – I “won” this book on the Bookish First site by using the points I’d collected from doing first impressions over the past few months. Hoping to read it and post a review for it on either Sunday or Monday.
- Hard to Love by K. Bromberg – I usually am on Bromberg’s review team, but I haven’t received anything for this yet and it comes out next week, hope I get it in time to do a review!
- Jerk It by Lani Lynn Vale – this is the second in this new series, I wasn’t able to fit in the first one, but looking forward to this series set at a gym. Should be reading for a blog tour review on the 7th
- The Junior by Monica Murphy – reading for a blog tour review on the 9th
- The Dating Game by Sandy Barker – reading for a blog tour review on the 11th
- The Corpse Queen by Heather Herrman – won an ARC of this on Goodreads, should be reading to post a review on the pub date of the 14th
- Red Velvet by Carla Luna – the first book in this series, Blue Hawaiian is one of my favorite books this year, so I can’t wait to read this one, for a blog tour review post on the 16th
- The Curveball by A.M. Williams – I liked the other book in this series by this author that I read, so I should be reading and posting a review as part of a blog tour on the 17th
- Forever with the Chef by Allie York – I signed up for this one, and am supposed to post a review as part of a blog tour on the 20th. But the one in the series that I’ve read so far didn’t blow me away, so I don’t know if I’ll stay on the tour. If I do, it is only because the book is as short as the other one and I can speed through it without a lot of thought or emotion.
- When Sparks Fly by Helena Hunting – can’t wait to read this one as part of the author’s review team. I hope to post a review on it’s pub date,or maybe a day or two before, somewhere between the 18th-21st
- For Love or Honey by Staci Hart – another author review team read, also to be reviewed around the 21st
- Kiss and Don’t Tell by Meghan Quinn – another author review team read, probably reviewing on the 22nd
- The Sound of Violet by Allen Wolf – a copy of a book I got from the publisher and plan to post my review on the 23rd
- Blue Bayou by Jiffy Kate – this is an audiobook I signed up to review through Audiobookworm Tours along with the other two in this series. I’m actually listening to it now. This review should be on the 26th
- For All Time by Shanna Miles – an ARC I was so excited to get from the publisher, and should be posting a review on the 27th
- Mama’s Boy by Avery Flynn – this is one that the pub date has been postponed a few times, supposedly it will be coming out on the 27th and that is when I’ll be reviewing it?
- Jock Reign by Sara Ney – another author review team that I should be posting a review on the 29th
- Fool Me Twice at Christmas by Camilla Isley – I don’t normally start holiday reads this early in the year, but I have liked the other books by this author I’ve read, so I jumped on the blog tour for this one, should be posting a review on the 30th
I’m able to get more audiobooks finished with my new drive, well, when they’re good. And so I’ll be listening to those in the Blue Bayou series I mentioned above. I have to post those reviews the first couple weeks of October, so I’m going to listen to them as I get through with each one, also as I actually get copies of them. I have no idea if I’ll be able to get through all of these! So wish me luck with having some time to read this month. Getting to actually take real 30 minute lunch breaks at work for a change so I know I have that time to read for sure.
Two ARCs/ or advanced copies, and then the middle book is one I won from the author in a Facebook giveaway
Weekly Wrap-up Posts:
- [8 Aug] Weekly Wrap-Up #27
- [15 Aug] Weekly Wrap-Up #28 with Giveaway! – 12th Blogoversary Edition!
- [22 Aug] Weekly Wrap-Up #29
- [29 Aug] Weekly Wrap-Up #30
Wednesday – Lisa’s Looking Forward To Posts:
- [4 Aug] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #119 – August 10th, 2021
- [11 Aug] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #120 – August 17th, 2021
- [18 Aug] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #121 – August 24th, 2021
- [25 Aug] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #122 – August 31st, 2021
So, how was your August? Is it hot where you are? Did schools in your area start up yet? Did you get all the reading you wanted done?
Below are ARCs I’ve finished and also a couple of finished copies, the winner will get to pick out 3 books from the list. I’ve added some books from an older ARC stack I had too, ones I just don’t know that I’m going to get to. There may even be a few more choices by the end of the month! I will make the giveaway international in that you can pick a book for under $10 if The Book Depository ships to you. Just fill out the Rafflecopter below the picture.a Rafflecopter giveaway