Wow, it feels like June flew by! I can’t believe it is already July! And my summer break is half over, kind of more than that since I have meetings and trainings for my new job coming up at the end of July. Plus, I don’t have any trips scheduled for this summer, so it is kind of feeling like I’m not getting a lot done. Other than I have finally been somewhat productive with some writing, and I hope to participate in Camp NaNoWriMo this month and get another of my novels finished so I can start polishing it up and maybe self publish it!
Weather this month has been a ton of really hot days the first half, then while still warm and muggy, started getting a lot of rain at the end of the month. Which I was glad for, because it means the ground won’t be dangerously dry for when the fireworks go off on the 4th.
I’m eager for July though. I have decided I am going to take out my 8 years of retirement from working in Kansas the last 8 years, and use it to pay off credit cards and maybe get somethings done around my house that need to be done. I know they’ll take like 10-20% off the top for taxes and penalties for early withdrawal, and then I’ll put another 10% in a savings account for taxes next year. I have 17 years of retirement in Missouri from when I taught before I finally got my library job. So it’s not like I’m getting rid of all my retirement money. And I’ve still got a while to go before I’ll be ready to retire anyway. So again, I’m not worried. I think not having any credit cards to be paying on monthly will be much better for me to have money in my paychecks. Of course I really want to make a nice little deck in my backyard to sit on, but with the price of lumber these days, that will probably not be on the list of things to do now.
My reading time was a lot this month! Got 20 books read, and I got almost all of my back logged books with reviews posted. Only one DNF this month too. Here is what I read:
Obviously I didn’t get all of these reviewed this month, but most of them, and some of my reviews posted this month are ones I read before June.
- [1 Jun] The Lucky List by Rachael Lippincott ★★★★½
- [2 Jun] Curse of the Specter Queen by Jenny Elder Moke ★★★★
- [5 Jun] Beard in Mind by Penny Reid ★★★★★
- [5 Jun] Love, Lacey Donovan by Jill Brashear ★★★
- [5 Jun] Random Acts of Crazy by Julia Kent ★★★★★
- [5 Jun] Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other by Sam Heughan, Graham McTavish, Diana Gabaldon ★★★★★
- [5 Jun] Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline ★★★★★
- [5 Jun] Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone ★★★★½
- [7 Jun] We Can't Keep Meeting Like This by Rachel Lynn Solomon ★★★★½
- [8 Jun] Friends With Benedicts by Staci Hart ★★★★½
- [8 Jun] The Marvelous by Claire Kann ★★★★½
- [10 Jun] The Sophomore by Monica Murphy ★★★★★
- [11 Jun] Tragic Lies by L.A. Cotton ★★★★
- [13 Jun] Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury ★★★★★
- [14 Jun] Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon ★★★★★
- [15 Jun] The Layover by Lacie Waldon ★★★★½
- [16 Jun] The Perfect Catch by Meghan Quinn ★★★★½
- [17 Jun] Retreat by Jay Crownover ★★★★
- [17 Jun] Boots by Megan Erickson ★★★★★
- [17 Jun] Thick Thighs Save Lives: A Bite-sized BBW Romance by Penn Rivers ★★★
- [17 Jun] Bridgerton: The Duke and I by Julia Quinn ★★★★★
- [17 Jun] Must Love Wieners by Casey Griffin ★★★★
- [17 Jun] Day Zero by Kresley Cole ★★★★
- [17 Jun] Damsel by Elana K. Arnold ★★★★
- [19 Jun] Blue Hawaiian by Carla Luna ★★★★★
- [21 Jun] My Contrary Mary by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows ★★★★
- [23 Jun] Jock Royal by Sara Ney ★★★★½
- [25 Jun] Fortunate Son by Jay Crownover ★★★★★
- [30 Jun] The Icing on the Cake by Linda Seed ★★★
You can see my sign up post for this challenge HERE. And here is the image with all the books I thought would be read.
This month I finished Damsel. I might have to drop my goal down to the Safety, because right now I’ve only read 4, and at this rate, I won’t even make the Safety goal of 12. 🙁
Last year I was doing the posts about Cleaning Up My TBR. I quit doing the posts by the end of the year, and was just going through Goodreads and clearing out books. So at the end of May I had 2,086 books on my TBR list. I looked at my list 3 times in June, so now I’m at 2,004. Not too bad! The problem is I’ve sorted them by when they were added, and as I get closer to ones I’ve added in the last two years or so, it’s harder to get rid of them.
What to Expect in July:
I did get back into writing a bit this past month, and hoping that I will actually jump in and do some writing in July. What I have to remember is to just write, don’t worry if it’s perfect. It needs to be finished and then I can go back and edit and polish. The whole walking every morning thing I thought I’d do in June! Ha! One day. And it got hot and I got lazy and didn’t want to get up early enough to beat the heat. So yeah. That’s not happening. I did definitely do better about eating more protein for breakfast on the days I ate breakfast. Eggs and bacon. Either using my Pampered Chef microwave egg scrambler, or I bought one of those little machines that hard boils your eggs for you in about 10-15 minutes. And of course microwave bacon, because I’m that lazy of a cook.
My dad and stepmom went to visit my sister who lives in Scotland this past week, and they will be there for a whole month basically. Which means my other sister and I who live here in town have to go over once a day to feed their outside dog. For a month. Even splitting it up that is two weeks. It’s about 10 miles away, which doesn’t seem that far, but there seems to be a lot of traffic to get there no matter which way I choose. Oh well. The things we do for family, right? For free.
Here is my proposed TBR for July:
- The Mixtape by Brittainy Cherry – for a blog tour review on the 3rd
- Tell Me S’more by Beth Merlin – for a blog tour on the 6th
- The Introvert’s Guide to Speed Dating by Emma Hart – reading as part of author’s ARC team for a review on the 6th – postponed from a June date
- Rent a Husband by Everly Ashton – blog tour review on the 9th
- SWANK: The Arrangement by Maya Hughes – well, this was originally scheduled for July 8th as part of author’s ARC team, but with the last SWANK book just coming out this past week, I’m guessing it might be a while before this one is actually ready.
- You Spin Me by Karen Grey – audiobook review by request of author to post on the 15th or maybe the 26th? Not positive because I’ve got it both places on my blog calendar.
- Pause by Kylie Scott – well I’ve already purchased and listened to this one, but I signed up to wait and post my review as part of a blog tour on the 16th. Although I haven’t heard if I’m a part of the tour for sure yet.
- Backup Offer by Liz Crowe – I signed up for a blitz tour on the 17th, may or may not read it too?
- 5 Rounds by Nikki Castle – blog tour review on the 19th
- Knuckleball by A.M. Williams – blog tour review on the 22nd
- Love Next Door by Helena Hunting – reading as part of author ARC team for a review on the 27th
- My Always One by Aleatha Romig – blog tour review on the 28th
- Tempt Thy Neighbor by Teagan Hunter – author ARC team review on the 29th
- 21 Questions by Alexandria Rizik – publisher sent ARC in a review request, should post on the 31st
- Berserker by Emmy Laybourne – hoping to read this as part of my Tackle My TBR challenge, and since I had requested it on Netgalley back before it came out, if I read and finish it I can help raise my percentage on my profile!
- Totally Folked by Penny Reid – it comes out on the 20th, so I hope to read it by then, but I probably won’t post my review till part of the blog tour in August
- From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout – I am going to try to finally make myself pick this up and read it. I mean I had to buy it as soon as it came out last year and now there are 2 or 3 more in the series already out? I’m so far behind!
- Fresh by Margot Wood – I requested from Netgalley and hope to read and post a review at the beginning of August
- The Wild Ones by Nafiza Azad – I should be getting an ARC of this and it comes out that first week in August, so I should be reading it at the end of the month.
It’s possible there will be at least one more audiobook thrown into the list, since I’m in the middle of one and should start another.
Early in the month I actually got a surprise finished copy of a second book in a series I haven’t started yet, but do want to read. I just finally posted that picture this week! Hoping I can read this one without reading the first one.
Weekly wrap-up posts:
- [6 Jun] Weekly Wrap-Up #19
- [13 Jun] Weekly Wrap-Up #20
- [20 Jun] Weekly Wrap-Up #21
- [27 Jun] Weekly Wrap-Up #22
My Wednesday Lisa’s Looking Forward To Posts:
- [9 Jun] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #111 – June 15th, 2021
- [16 Jun] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #112 – June 22nd, 2021
- [23 Jun] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #113 – June 29th, 2021
- [30 Jun] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #114 – July 6th, 2021
How was your June? Can you believe the year is half over now?
Below are ARCs I’ve finished and also a couple of finished copies, the winner will get to pick out 3 books from the list. I’ve added some books from an older ARC stack I had too, ones I just don’t know that I’m going to get to. There may even be a few more choices by the end of the month! I will make the giveaway international in that you can pick a book for under $10 if The Book Depository ships to you. Just fill out the Rafflecopter below the picture.a Rafflecopter giveaway