Did I say April was crazy? Let’s not even talk about how crazy May was! Especially the very end of the month! The second to last weekend of the month I woke up on that Saturday with a bad case of vertigo, and it got so bad as the day went by that I couldn’t move without vomiting. I couldn’t keep any food down. It was so bad that I had my mom take me first to urgent care on Sunday morning, and the doctor there ended up sending me to the emergency room. So that whole weekend was a blur of just trying as much as possible not to move. It also meant I got behind on my reading, and had to cancel out on two blog tour reviews. Then the last weekend, or Memorial Day weekend, is my family’s annual trip to Branson, Missouri, where we stay in a couple cabins and just hang out together and relax. Well, since the whole week before I’d been getting over the vertigo, I decided I would skip doing any extra blogging that weekend.
While I’m pretty much back to feeling normal, I’m still trying to get back into my blogging. I ended up skipping two Sunday posts, and also two of my Wednesday posts as well. I haven’t had a chance to really go comment on anyone else’s blogs the last two weeks and I feel really bad about that. But, school is out, and so I should have lots of time now! Speaking of school being out, that is also why May was so busy. I had to get packed up because it was my last few weeks at my library job. This week I actually started meetings, or at least information meetings with my new district about insurance and getting an ID badge, etc. Now I’m just making sure to get my college transcripts and employment verifications turned in so that I can get on the salary schedule where I should be.
We did have some kind of weird weather this past month as well. Lots and lots of rain. And then my weekend in Branson, where I usually sweat through at least one outfit a day, well it was cold! My 9 year old niece, and 3 year old nephew didn’t even go swimming in the pool.
Last month I talked about my new car. And I’m loving it. However I’m still waiting on the car I traded in to get paid off, as Hyundai did not credit the payment the dealer sent to my account, even though they did cash it. I also did end up getting a new air conditioner and heating system put in. Which I need to remember to call and get the city to come out and inspect it I guess, which seems weird, but I guess I have to.
So thanks to my week long vertigo spell, and also again having some trouble with audiobooks not grabbing my attention, my reading was down again this month. Only 15 books finished. I am behind on audiobook reviews as well as a few other overdue reviews. Once again, with school being out, hoping to be able to get those done soon. I started a little review post for the audiobooks, so that should be first. I did get a DNF post done last week as well.
- [3 May] Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter
- [6 May] The Hate of Loving You by Maya Hughes ★★★★½
- [9 May] Here With Me by Samantha Young ★★★★½
- [12 May] Gutter Girl by Lynn Rush, Kelly Anne Blount ★★★★½
- [13 May] Celebrity Dirt by J.D. Hollyfield ★★★★★
- [15 May] Sixteen Scandals by Sophie Jordan ★★★★★
- [17 May] Made in Korea by Sarah Suk ★★★★★
- [20 May] So Not My Type by Amelia Kingston ★★★★★
- [21 May] Mister Marriage by Amelia Simone ★★★★
- [24 May] Not You Again by Terri Osburn ★★★★½
- [31 May] A Kiss for a Kiss by Helena Hunting ★★★★½
It looks like most of my reviews pretty much were for tours or because they were ARCs that publishers sent me once again.
You can see my sign up post for this challenge HERE. And here is the image with all the books I thought would be read.
So technically it wasn’t until June that I finished Must Love Wieners, but I’m going to go ahead and add it this month to feel like I got something done. Because I’ll probably finish Damsel in June.
Last year I was doing the posts about Cleaning Up My TBR. I quit doing the posts by the end of the year, and was just going through Goodreads and clearing out books. So at the end of April I had 2,223 books on my TBR list. I did get to look at my list three times in May, so now I’m at 2,085. I did pretty good it looks like!
What to Expect in June:
I’m hoping to start getting some good habits back this month. Starting hopefully by the end of this first week, I want to make sure I get up at 8 am every morning and go walk. Yes this is later than I’ll be getting up during the school year. But it is later than I would get up if I just let myself sleep in. Plus once we start getting real summer weather, I won’t want to walk in the heat later in the day. So I will allow myself to get the walk in, and then come back and take a nap if I want. I haven’t decided if I’ll eat breakfast before or after yet. But I also am going to try to make eggs for breakfast with my microwave scrambler to be on a better breakfast than I have been. I don’t know if I’ll get any writing done. I’d like to add a goal of one hour a day writing. But I don’t know if I will actually do that. I know that I probably want to just do some outlining this summer for sure. I’ve also gotten to where I wonder if it is even worth doing anymore. I don’t know that I’m that good of a writer, and even though I know I need more practice to get better, I’m not sure if that’s where I want to spend my time.
Here is my proposed TBR for June based on blog tours and ARCs that I have:
- We Can’t Keep Meeting Like This by Rachel Lynn Solomon – I have this ARC, and am currently reading! Should be posting review maybe this weekend.
- Friends with Benedicts by Staci Hart – reading for author review team should post review on June 7th.
- The Marvelous by Claire Kann – I enjoyed the other book I read by this author and I am reading this for a blog tour review on June 8th
- The Perfect Catch by Meghan Quinn – reading as part of author’s review team for a review on either June 10th or 16th
- Tragic Lies by L.A. Cotton – reading for a blog tour review on June 11th
- Blood Like Magic by Liselle Sambury – reading ARC for publisher, should post review on June 13th
- Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon – reading for a blog tour review on June 14th
- The Layover by Lacie Waldon – reading for a publisher requested review on June 15th
- The Sophomore by Monica Murphy – reading for an author review team I think posting review on either the 10th or 17th
- Blue Hawaiian by Carla Luna – reading for a blog tour review on June 19th
- My Contrary Mary by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows – while I never got around to the Jane series by these three, after binging the series Reign, I’m very excited for this one. I got the e-galley from Netgalley so need to read it to keep my score on there up, and hope to post a review on June 21st
- Fortunate Son by Jay Crownover – hoping to get to read this as part of a blog tour review and the post should be either the 23rd, 25th, or 28th, if I get picked to be on the tour
- Jock Royal by Sara Ney – I will get it as part of the author’s review team, but I also signed up to do a blog tour review on June 24th
- The Introvert’s Guide to Speed Dating by Emma Hart – if this one doesn’t get postponed, I am part of the author’s review team again, and I hope to review on June 29th
- The Icing on the Cake by Linda Seed – I am listening to an audiobook of this for a blog tour review on June 30th, unless I keep having issues trying to listen to it in my car through Soundcloud which I can’t seem to get the book to the app, so have to go to the browser on my phone when I listen.
- Possible/probable book for my Tackle My TBR Challenge: Damsel by Elana K. Arnold should be finished this month. If I have time, the other two books I have listed to maybe read this month are Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly and/or The Demonologist by Gerald Brittle – which this last one I may be in the mood for after the new Conjuring movie comes out this month.
- Since the e-galley for Grace and Glory by JLA wasn’t available when I went back to download it, I had to order the physical copy. Because of that I don’t know how soon I’ll get to it. But it’s one I’ve been waiting for, so I may try to fit it in this month too.
- I’m in the middle of a couple of audiobooks that I’ve had trouble connecting to. One is The Best Man by A.S. Kelly – and I might not finish it because I don’t like the cheating aspect that’s already been revealed. Unfortunately it is supposed to be for a blog tour in July, so I need to decide soon. Another is The Ex Talk by Rachel Lynn Solomon, which I put aside to listen to the one for a blog tour this month, The Icing on the Cake. I also started listening to Kindred by Octavia Butler, and might get back to that this month as well.
- Some possible DNFs this month if I don’t finish them are: The Best Man by A.S. Kelly audiobook, and The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin – an unsolicited ARC that I’m not really getting into.
Reviews that are overdue and should be possibly posted in June:
- Clanlands by Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish – audiobook – it has been due for a couple months now, and the show is over as well.
- Love, Lacey Donovan by Jill Brashear – audiobook that was supposed to be part of a blog tour review first week in April
- Random Acts of Crazy by Julia Kent – audiobook I finished in March
- Day Zero by Kresley Cole – one of the books I read in March for my TBR challenge
- Thick Thighs Save Lives by Penn Rivers – the novella I saw advertised on Facebook and had to buy and read really quickly
- Retreat by Jay Crownover – the book I read in 2017 and never wrote a review for, even though I love this author!
- The Duke & I by Julia Quinn – I finally finished this book in April, now on to book 2!
- Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline – audiobook I listened to and loved in April!
- Boots by Megan Erickson – another book I read in 2017 and have realized I never wrote a review for.
- Beard in Mind by Penny Reid – an audiobook re-read/listen from when I read this one a long time ago it seems.
- Pause by Kylie Scott – finished audiobook in May, although I see a blog tour happening in July for this one, so I may wait till then to post a review.
- Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone – an audiobook I saw a review for on another blog and decided to borrow from the Audible Plus subscription for free. And it took a bit to get into, but then I adored it!
- Must Love Wieners by Casey Griffin – My decision to get this one read really picked up when I saw the author post on Facebook that she was going to be giving it and the second book in this series a new title because people didn’t like the word wiener in the title. All I can say to that is the people who don’t like that aren’t dachshund owners, because that is what grabbed my attention in the first place!
I’m a bit behind with some books I’ve got in the mail at the end of the month thanks to my vertigo episode. But here are a few, including my last two displays in my library that I am no longer working at for next school year.
Weekly wrap-up posts as I mentioned only got two done this past month:
My Wednesday Lisa’s Looking Forward To Posts again missing one this month, and the first one for June as well:
- [5 May] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #108 – May 11th, 2021
- [12 May] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #109 – May 18th, 2021
- [19 May] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #110 – Special Author Interview Edition
So, how was your May?
Below are ARCs I’ve finished and also a couple of finished copies, the winner will get to pick out 3 books from the list. There may even be a few more choices by the end of the month! I will make the giveaway international in that you can pick a book for under $10 if The Book Depository ships to you. Just fill out the Rafflecopter below the picture.a Rafflecopter giveaway