April has been a crazy busy month! First of all, I got my official contract for my new library job for next school year, and I was able to turn in my official resignation to my new district. So all of that is starting to shake out and I’m getting excited for next year and a bit ready to be done with the things that annoy me at my current job, even though I really do like my current job. April brought us some weird weather. In the second to last week of the month we had a day that was crazy snowy in the morning on my way to work, but by my drive home from work, the snow was all gone and it looked like a normal spring day again.
The dogs have stayed healthy this month for a change. And I even got to go play with some puppies that the breeder has right now the last weekend of the month!
I got my YA novel back from the beta reader and they had a lot of good comments. They gave it 3.5 stars, which I’m happy with, because I know it needs work. But I was pleased with the suggestions they had and that they liked it that much! Other than getting that back, I got no writing done this month. I did sit in on a Facebook live with one of my favorite authors, Helena Hunting, and she was talking about writing and self publishing, and we got to ask her questions. I got a lot of good info and suggestions and advice, now I just need time to sit down and write. Or outline, which is what I think I need to do to finish up the novels I have started and never finished yet. Since it will probably be another summer without a part time job, I’m guessing I’ll never get the bookstore job back, and I’ve done okay without having a second job, well, kind of, my credit cards probably disagree, maybe I can get some writing done this summer.
I don’t know if I’ve mentioned about how Pepsi had a giveaway going on before Easter that was for a very limited edition Peeps flavored Pepsi. You had to take a picture showing your love of Peeps and then post it with the hashtag of “hanging with my Peeps” and tag Pepsi in it. I did that, and then I heard from them a week or two ago that I had won. Well, the prize arrived this past week! I want to drink them, but then I also know they’ll be gone once I do, since they don’t make any more, so I keep waiting!
I also gave in and got a new car. Not that I had a very old one, less than two years old actually. But Facebook ads got me. I think back in January or February, they had an ad for an orange car on Facebook. Orange is my favorite color. So I started thinking about it a lot. The last week of April I decided to go test drive one. Thinking that once I drove it, I wouldn’t like it, and so I’d give up on it. Well, that backfired. Of course the local Nissan dealership didn’t have the Rogue Sport in orange, so I ended up having to go to a town about an hour away, and once there, I got talked into it. Even if my payment is a little more than what I was paying. Here is my pretty new car:
And once again, my air conditioning doesn’t seem to be working. It seems that it probably has a freon leak, so with it being 33 years old, and my heater over 20 years old, I’ve decided it is time to replace those, so now I’ll be making a monthly payment for that once it gets put in. Blah.
My total for reading this month was a little off, I think partly because of having kids back in the building and being busier at school, and then also I had two books that I put on my DNF list even after giving them a lot of time to read. If I get the one I started on Thursday finished by Friday night, I will have read/listened to a total of 17 books this month. Oh yeah, I had two audiobooks I was trying to listen to that neither really grabbed me. So I spent a lot of the time in my car this month just listening to music instead of books. I also might have downloaded the Bridgerton soundtrack and then the original songs they were based on.
I’m also really behind on overdue reviews, books that weren’t part of blog tours, so I didn’t have the time to make sure to record the reviews. And, as I’m going through all my authors and trying to make sure the reviews I posted before I switched to WordPress get updated so they show in my blog archives now, I found at least one that I never wrote a review for by a favorite author of mine. Nowhere did I write a review for it. So I’m debating if I can go back and write one now.
- [3 Apr] Maggie Finds Her Muse by Dee Ernst ★★★★
- [5 Apr] The Cost of Knowing by Brittney Morris ★★★★
- [8 Apr] Uncork My Love by Rich Amooi ★★★★★
- [8 Apr] The Sin of Kissing You by Maya Hughes ★★★★½
- [8 Apr] Crave Thy Neighbor by Teagan Hunter ★★★★½
- [9 Apr] Replay by Amy Daws ★★★★½
- [12 Apr] The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky ★★★★★
- [16 Apr] Earn Your Extra Credit by Meghan Quinn ★★★★★
- [20 Apr] Quit Bein' Ugly by Lani Lynn Vale
- [21 Apr] The Freshman by Monica Murphy ★★★★★
- [24 Apr] Lycanthropy and Other Chronic Illnesses by Kristen O'Neal ★★★★★
- [25 Apr] Slingshot by Mercedes Helnwein ★★★★
- [27 Apr] The Introvert's Guide to Online Dating by Emma Hart ★★★★★
- [28 Apr] Wild Dreams by Mari Carr ★★★★
- [30 Apr] Foes & Cons by Carrie Aarons ★★★★★
Only reviews this month pretty much were for tours or because they were ARCs that publishers sent me.
You can see my sign up post for this challenge HERE. And here is the image with all the books I thought would be read.
Still got no more new ones done. I am working on two in the picture there, Must Love Wieners (second one down on last column) and Damsel. And I really want to pick up and read From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout because everyone loves this series I think and it is the one of hers that I’m behind on! Of course they are all coming out really quickly and her other series that I’m keeping up on right now are yearly books.
Last year I was doing the posts about Cleaning Up My TBR. I quit doing the posts by the end of the year, and was just going through Goodreads and clearing out books. Since I haven’t mentioned it so far this year, let’s just say that at the beginning of January, the number on my Goodreads TBR was 2,477 books. As of today, I am at 2,237 books. So I’ve crossed out over 200 books, and that’s even with adding books as I find more I want to read.
Last year I was doing the posts about Cleaning Up My TBR. I quit doing the posts by the end of the year, and was just going through Goodreads and clearing out books. So at the end of March I had 2,237 books on my TBR list. I’ve only gone through one time this month, but now I’m at 2,223. Now I know I got rid of a lot on the one time I went through, but I’ve also added a bunch this month too I’m sure!
What to Expect in May:
Last month of school at my current school! The end of the month, Memorial Day weekend is my family’s annual trip to Branson to stay in some cabins and just hang out. I’m already so ready for that! I’ll have to start looking for what things are mine that I will take with me when I leave at the end of the month. The computer I’m currently typing all this up on will have to be turned in, good thing I bought a new computer last month!
Here is my proposed May TBR based on blog tours and ARCs that I have:
- Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter – an ARC I should be posting a review of either the 1st or 2nd or 3rd, depending when I finish it.
- Off to the Races by Elsie Silver – for a blog tour review on May 4th
- The Hate of Loving You by Maya Hughes – author request review on May 6th
- Here With Me by Samantha Young – author request review on May 9th
- Bossing the Cowboy – author request review on May 11th
- Gutter Girl by Lynn Rush and Kelly Anne Blount – blog tour review on May 12th
- Celebrity Dirt by JD Hollyfield – blog tour review on May 13th
- Sixteen Scandals by Sophie Jordan – e-galley review on May 15th or 16th
- Made in Korea by Sarah Suk – ARC review on May 17th
- So Not My Type by Amelia Kingston – author request review on May 18th
- Coming Around by Melissa Chambers – author request review on May 20th
- Mr. Marriage by ? I have this on my blog calendar, but I don’t remember who it is by. Supposedly for a review on May 21st.
- Not You Again by Terri Osburn – for a blog tour review on May 24th
- Friends with Benedicts by Staci Hart – author request review on May 25th
- Disaster Girl by Michelle Dayton – blog tour review on May 27th
- The Nature of Witches by Rachel Griffin – ARC review hopefully on May 29th
- Curse of the Specter Queen by Jenny Elder Moke – ARC review hopefully on May 31st
- Possible books for my Tackle My TBR Challenge: The Princess and the Fangirl by Ashley Poston, Trust by Jana Aston – both of these will probably not get started, as I want to try to finish the other two I’ve started for this challenge, Damsel by Elana K. Arnold and Must Love Wieners by Casey Griffin.
- I’ll also probably get some audiobooks listened to, whatever new one I buy with my May Audible credit for sure when I drive to Branson on Memorial Day weekend.
Reviews that are overdue and should be possibly posted in May:
- Clanlands by Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish – audiobook – it has been due for a couple months now, and the show is over as well.
- Love, Lacey Donovan by Jill Brashear – audiobook that was supposed to be part of a blog tour review first week in April
- Random Acts of Crazy by Julia Kent – audiobook I finished in March
- Day Zero by Kresley Cole – one of the books I read in March for my TBR challenge
- Thick Thighs Save Lives by Penn Rivers – the novella I saw advertised on Facebook and had to buy and read really quickly
- Retreat by Jay Crownover – the book I read in 2017 and never wrote a review for, even though I love this author!
- The Duke & I by Julia Quinn – I finally finished this book in April, now on to book 2!
- Ready Player Two by Ernest Cline – audiobook I listened to and loved in April!
Weekly wrap-up posts continue:
- [4 Apr] Weekly Wrap-Up #13
- [11 Apr] Weekly Wrap-Up #14 with Giveaway
- [18 Apr] Weekly Wrap-Up #15
- [25 Apr] Weekly Wrap-Up #16
My Wednesday Lisa’s Looking Forward To Posts:
- [7 Apr] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #104 – April 13th, 2021
- [14 Apr] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #105 – April 20th, 2021
- [21 Apr] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #106 – April 27th, 2021
- [28 Apr] Lisa’s Looking Forward To #107 – May 4th, 2021
So, how was your April?
Below are ARCs I’ve finished and also a couple of finished copies, the winner will get to pick out 3 books from the list. There may even be a few more choices by the end of the month! I will make the giveaway international in that you can pick a book for under $10 if The Book Depository ships to you. Just fill out the Rafflecopter below the picture.